Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Just like you and me.

I was thinking I might try to post at least one cover a day this month, but figured I'd post a bunch of songs now in case I backpedal.

  • The Avalanches "Do you Know the Way to San Jose" (comp. Burt Bacharach)
    I think this is a "totally love" or "totally hate" it track, and I'm in the former category. I'm a huge Bacharach fan, but must admit that even some of my favorite Bacharach covers are terribly run-of-the-mill. The last thing I'd expect to hear in a DYKTWTSJ cover is a lick from My Bloody Valentine's "I Only Said," and I approve.

  • Brewer & Shipley "All Along the Watchtower" (Bob Dylan cover)
    I've been in a strange '70s folk phase lately, and this is a product of that.

  • Floppy "Radiostar No Higeki (Video Killed the Radio Star)" (Japanese Buggles cover)
    There are so many covers of this out there and I've posted a few. This isn't my favorite of the lot—that honor belongs to Hi-Posi's version (I know I don't often repost songs, but what the heck?)—but it's a bouncy little novelty.

  • Built to Spill "I Try" (Macy Gray cover)
    The other day a thought popped in my head: I used to be mildly obsessed with Built to Spill yet couldn't remember the last time I listened to anything by them. Granted, I was jonesing for their non-cover work, but I still thought I'd share a cover today.


  • Collide "The Lunatics (Have Taken Over the Asylum)" (Fun Boy Three cover)
    I bought a used copy of Fun Boy Three's first LP and haven't been able to get this song out of my head since. But it's better than other recent earworms of mine. (See below.)

  • George White Group "Gypsy Woman" (Crystal Waters cover)
    One of my most-hated hits of the '90s. I can almost listen to it now without retching. This version annoys me far less, but it still gets the grating original suck in my head.


  • Grizzly Bear "He Hit Me (It Felt Like a Kiss)" (The Crystals cover)
    I shared a video of this the other day, and a few readers have clamored for an MP3 version. This is not from the same performance as that in the video, but I hope it will suffice. BTW: I think you should buy Grizzly Bear's album because it's brilliant.

  • Jesper Henriksen "Try Again" (Aaliyah cover)
    A weird kismet hit the other day when reader Lyss sent me an e-mail pointing me to this track on Jesper's MySpace a mere hour or two after I'd downloaded it somewhere else. And there are few things I like more than a good sexy R&B jam in acoustic cover form by someone from Scandinavia.

  • Mariah M. "Bring Me Edelweiss (2000)" (Edelweiss cover)
    An innocuous cover of an innocuous song. Why not?

  • Nutz "One More Cup of Coffee (Valley Below)" (Bob Dylan cover)
    I might like this more than the White Stripes version, and for a completely different reason.

  • Teenage Fanclub "The Ballad of John & Yoko" (Beatles cover)
    Nothing much to say here except I like Teenage Fanclub and I like this song.

  • Timex Social Club "Go Away Little Girl" (comp. Goffin/King)
    Not that I expected much from the guys who brought us "Rumors," but I'm surprised at how bland this is.
     
  • 6 comments:

    Matthew said...

    Thank you!

    And yes, your asseessment of the Grizzly Bears is spot on.

    Anonymous said...

    Edelweiss! Yes! Yes! I had the cassingle of this 20 years ago as a preteen, and now my whole week is made. Thank you.

    sean said...

    The "Gypsy Woman" cover is bizarre.

    jess said...

    yes, that grizzly bear album is fantastic! as is that awesome, transformative cover! thank you!

    Anonymous said...

    i want a download the single and i have a rapidshare account who where find the single ?

    Lobstar said...

    What single? This post is two years old and the MP3s have long been removed.