Tuesday, April 13, 2004

No one will be watching us.

I have to admit I'm a little too glued to my new favorite insane reality docudrama (aka Bravo's Showbiz Moms & Dads) to write much tonight, but I don't want to deprive anyone else of the insane reality of these covers that sound nothing like the originals.

  • Lydia Lunch & Clint Ruin "Why Don't We Do it in the Road?" (Beatles cover)
    Lydia was flange when flange wasn't cool—which, as far as I can tell, was always.

  • Peace Brothers "Frozen" (Madonna cover)
    Having run the Peace Brothers' official site through the Google translator, I have to say my favorite quote would be "'Sexbomb' (Tom Jones) is naturally only real sexy if it is not vibrated," which, I'm pretty sure is common knowledge. Whatever. I can't tell whether or not I can recommend this cover in good faith, but I will say that I've had their rockabilly chorus stuck in my head since I first heard this version a few weeks ago. I don't know where these cover-obsessed, German-speaking power-pop-punk-abilly lugs are from exactly (Germany seems too simple an answer for such a complex cast of characters), but not since Doctor and the Medics came on the cover scene have I been so perplexed by a band's look, sound or M.O.
  • No comments: