Wednesday, August 24, 2005

I have no choice; I hear your voice.

Okay, I know I'm always saying how I won't make guarantees that I'll post stuff other people have sent me, but I'm busy in my work life and lazy in my home life and you'll take these and you'll like them!!! (Note: You may not actually like them.) All were sent to me by readers sometime in the past few months. Some I had already, a few I didn't. (It happens!) Sorry if you sent me something and it's not on today's list. I'm also sorry I'm too lazy to research who sent what.

But before we get to those, I'd be remiss if I didn't point you in the direction of a website featuring the Tuvan punk (you read right) stylings of Albert Kuvezin and Yat-Kha. Head over there to download a few tracks, including one of the most unique "Love Will Tear Us Aparts" ever.

  • Crackout "Caught Out There" (Kelis cover)
    Definitely raised my eyebrows in that "really, someone like this covered something like that???" way when it hit my inbox.

  • The Entertainment System "Bigmouth Strikes Again" (Smiths cover)
    My poor friend Mikey is forever trying to find covers I've never heard and was very depressed after sending this to me that I already had this Texas band's cover ('cause I had found it here one day). Sorry, Mikey. I still love you.

  • PJ Pooterhoots "No Go [I Can't Go for That]" (Hall & Oates cover)
    You know, it's not bad. Except it gets the original stuck in my head and I hate the original—not necessarily based on the quality of the song itself but based on the bad memories it conjures up, which are shudder-inducing. What can I say? Age 9 was rough for me.

  • Now It's Overhead "Book of Love" (Magnetic Fields cover)
    I had a feeling that the Magnetic Fields post a few days ago would result in a slew of comments and e-mails chiding me for not picking the right covers and/or suggesting tracks I already had but just didn't feel like posting, but I took the risk anyhow 'cause I live on the edge, man. Consider this an acknowledgement that, yes, I know there are many more to be had. Speaking of, I forgot to mention this page full of Magnetic Fields covers as performed by The Wake in my last Mag Fields post.

  • Glitterbug "Like a Prayer" (Madonna cover)
    Surprisingly poptastic.

  • Johnny Domino "Forever in Blue Jeans" (Neil Diamond cover)
    One of my favorite Diamond tracks. Johnny also posts a lot of covers over on his blog. If you're not already reading it, you should be.

  • Oranger "Vegetables" (Beach Boys cover)
    Jeez, what was Van Dyke Parks on? I needs me some of that.

  • Rilo Kiley "Let My Love Open the Door" (Pete Townshend cover)
    Sing along with everyone's favorite band of somewhat depressing cutesters.

  • Eve Massacre "3L3CTR1C DR3AMS" (Human League cover)
    If this were a friend's 4-track project and I were super high, I'd probably like this a lot more.

  • Stanford Counterpoint "Don't Speak" (No Doubt cover)
    College acappella groups. Is there anything they can't geek up?

  • Mystery singer] "Ask Me" (Elvis Presley cover)
    So my stepdad tells me that a friend/colleague (whose identity I shall protect) of his has gotten really into karaoke, going to karaoke bars many times a week and competing in contests. I immediately insist that we have to go watch him sometime because I live for spectacles, especially karaoke spectacles. (So far no luck!) My stepdad then breaks the news that his friend/colleague has gone so far as to record his own CD. Giddy like a little girl, I beg him to get a hold of one for me. Again, no luck, but about a month later this arrived via e-mail from my stepdad's address. All I can say is I've certainly heard far worse karaoke regulars. That, of course, is not saying much.
  • No comments: