Friday, August 03, 2007

Legs are required for jumping, dancing.

OMG, I hate the new Blogger deal where you have to be signed in on your linked Gmail account and whatnot. I didn't realize how much I hated it until, in the middle of writing this post, I logged into a different Gmail account but kept updating the blog only to have Blogger NOT SAVE any of my updates as I made them. So, just know that I initially spent a good deal of time writing little accompanying snippets to each of the following tracks but only a few were written before the e-mail gaffe and now I'm too annoyed to rewrite the others—including the one in which I confess to having sung "Ultimate" at karaoke.

Enjoy!

  • Lil' Dave Merriman "I Palindrome I" (They Might Be Giants cover)
    Dave is a good friend of my pal Jessica and acquaintance of mine because he fronts both the Arrivals and the local GBV tribute band, Textbook Committee. I used to be quite the TMBG fan, although I haven't advertised it so much in recent years.

  • Jay Buchanan "Lemon" (U2 cover)
    When my friend Ryan (who is/was a pretty big U2 fan back in the day, depending on the era) visited a few weeks ago, I believe we were making fun of "Lemon." Or maybe I was making fun of it and he and my other friend Brent chimed in. Regardless, it reminded me that I didn't hate this '60s-esque blue-eyed soul/R&B cover of it.

  • Palomar "I'll Come Running" (Brian Eno cover)

  • Fabienne Louves "She Works Hard for the Money" (Donna Summer cover in Swiss German)
    The Swiss are allowed to have pop stars too, I suppose.

  • Jared Louche and the Aliens "Search and Destroy" (Iggy and the Stooges cover)

  • Takeshi Terauchi & The Bunnys "One Fine Day (aria from Madame Butterfly)" (comp. Puccini)
    I didn't realize how much I needed Japanese Ventures-style surf-rock covers of famous classical pieces until now.

  • Skye Sweetnam "Part of Your World" (from The Little Mermaid, comp. Menken/Ashman)

  • Nerina Pallot "Love Will Tear Us Apart" (Joy Division cover)

  • Animal Jazz "Frozen" (Madonna cover)

  • Karen Jo Fields "Famous Blue Raincoat" (Leonard Cohen cover)

  • Spoon "Decora" (Yo La Tengo cover)

  • Astrud "With Whom to Dance" (Magnetic Fields cover)
     
  • 6 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Holy cow, the "Un Bel Di" cover is the best thing ever! Thanks, Liza -- you just made my day!!!

    Anonymous said...

    Oooh I love Nerina Pallot, and actually knew this existed, but hadn't heard it yet. So thank you!!

    2fs said...

    Probably if you opened a different browser to check your other gmail account, Blogger wouldn't get so confused. (I don't mean a different window, an actual different browser: i.e., if you're using IE, open Firefox, etc.)

    c said...

    wow, i never heard that lemon cover before. that is a pretty bizarre rendition right there.

    Anonymous said...

    i like cover of the russian band ANIMAL JAZZ!Frontman have a very good voice!!!

    Anonymous said...

    I'm following the same what 2fs said, if it is necessary for me to open another account middle of typing the post from different gmail account. But another way to be safe is, if you're typing really long post means,then type it down in the word or some other similar format and upload or copy & paste it to blogger.
    edwardian conservatories north east