Friday, November 02, 2007

Home is where I want to be, but I guess I'm already there.

  • Gal and Lad "Going to Maine" (Mountain Goats cover)
    A random Google search while cover hunting led me to the MySpace page of the delightful Gal and Lad, where you can download this track along with a few of their popdorable originals.

  • Farrah "It's Different for Girls" (Joe Jackson cover)
    The dreamy lead singer for Farrah, a UK power pop band, sounds about 15 years old. And I'm okay with that.

  • Bettye LaVette "I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got" (Sinead O'Connor cover)
    My friend Ray introduced me to this somewhat odd soul cover, which is featured on LaVette's album of somewhat odd soul covers, I've Got My Own Hell to Raise—which is itself named after a lyric from a Fiona Apple song likewise on the album.

  • Mysteries of Life "This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)" (Talking Heads cover)
    Ah, Bloomington's own. (Indiana, of course.) Many talented and cute gals and guys have weaved in and out of this band and I love them all. god only knows how many times I've seen them live. Probably enough to never have to see them again. But that doesn't mean that I don't want to.

  • Les Calamités "When You Find Out" (Nerves cover)
    I kind of always presumed that the Nerves original was actually a cover of some '60s garage/psych nugget, but no: It merely showcased a genre from which they drew inspiration. Les Calamités take it a step further by making it sound like crunchy old French DIY brilliance. If this recording existed decades ago and someone told me Les Calamités were the original performers, I'd have no reason to doubt that.

  • Zongamin "Third Uncle" (Brian Eno cover)
    Experimental indienewwavetechnojazzfunk acts like Zongamin are usually a bit too weirdly all-over-the-map for me to pay more than 10 seconds worth of attention to them, but I must admit this cover makes me very happy.
     
  • 1 comment:

    Jack Feerick said...

    That Farrah track is gawwwwww-geous.

    Hey, welcome back!