Thursday, May 27, 2004

You just took for granted that I want to skinny-dip.

It doesn't happen very often, but I'm in an emo/indietronica mood today. It's a mild 75 degrees outside, I just got home from work, I'm a little high, drinking a cool beverage and as relaxed as the gal posing on the beach in Duran Duran's "Rio" video. What better time to think about love, '80s hits and skinny bespectacled boys in thrift-store-found Penguin cardigans and dark denim jeans with the cuffs rolled up?

If you've been reading my blog a while, you've already met with some of the somber, twee, decidedly emotional covers found on one of the sweetest little out-of-print cover albums out there, Double Agent 1980. (The Softies doing Rick Astley's "Together Forever" and Class doing Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart," remember?) Today, I bring you a few more from that wondrous pearl.


  • Class "We Don't Have to Take Our Clothes Off" (Jermaine Stewart cover)
    I was 12 or 13 when this song was popular and a pretty big nerd, and even I thought this song beyond laughable. My friend Julie and I mocked it so incessantly, that "we could dance and party all night and drink some cherry wine" became a part of our everyday vernacular. It was the perfect sarcastic neo-adolescent retort to any inquiry in the "I don't know, what do you wanna do?" genre. I'm considering a renaissance.

  • My Favorite "Modern Love" (David Bowie cover)
    I don't know what to tell you about this. I can't decide whether I love or hate it. The "drums" remind me a little of Boyracer or Space Needle and I like them ... hmmm. What I do know, however, is that you can tell that the bands on this tribute disc really love these songs. They're not doing it just to be clever, and that's refreshing.

  • Tullycraft & The Incredible Force of Junior "Hold Me Now" (Thompson Twins cover)
    When I was 12, I think, my mom and I went to Washington DC for a short vacation. While there, I noticed a poster on a phone pole that said the Thompson Twins were playing that weekend and Missing Persons was opening. I begged my mom to take me. Of course, she kept saying no. In retrospect, I'm glad she did. Attempting to try to explain to my mom the purpose of Dale Bozzio's transparent plastic bra cups is not my idea of a good time.
  • No comments: