Wednesday, March 08, 2006

She is gone, but the joke's the same.

  • Jose Gonzalez "Heartbeats" (The Knife cover)
    A while ago, I heard this track in that Sony Bravia commercial (Google it, yo, I'm not linking to Sony) with all the superballs flying through San Francisco and was shocked that A) someone covered this song and B) that it was so damned good. I really like the original, but I really love this version. Sadcore at its finest. Or something.

  • The Portsmouth Sinfonia "Pinball Wizard" (Who cover)
    Somewhat dissonant and very odd. Love it. Or something.

  • The Jazz Butcher "Everybody's Talking" (Fred Neil cover—performed most popularly by Harry Nilsson)
    I want to take a time machine back to the early 1990s and make out with the bands on the Creation label. Or something.

  • The Guano Apes "Big in Japan" (Alphaville cover)
    Germany rules for so many reasons, not the least of which is the fact that it's not as uncommon there for women to front alt-rock bands as it is here. Or something.

  • The Free Design "Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head" (comp. Burt Bacharach/Hal David)
    This song was my introduction to The Free Design, a late-'60s/early-'70s baroque pop act who are so awesome you just know that everyone at Elephant 6 and Minty Fresh and the like wish they were them. Or something.

  • The Dresden Dolls "Pretty in Pink" (Psychedelic Furs cover)
    Song I Love + Band I Love = Meh. Or something.
  • No comments: