Friday, August 04, 2006

All of our time spent keeps us alive.

It doesn't happen very often, but I do get in a hard-rock/metal mood from time to time. As someone who collects covers, this is a good mood to be in, as the ratio of metal covers to non-metal covers is approximately 15:2.

There are details about my past that newer friends are often shocked to learn about me. One of them is my history as a hard-rock/glam-metal fan, which at times overlapped with my new-wave/alternative/indie periods. In high school/college, I saw a slew of concerts performed by the likes of Bon Jovi (four or five times), Poison, Motley Crue, Guns N' Roses. Not to mention seeing Skid Row at least three times opening for said acts. I mean, just look at me my junior year:

meblondehs

mehsyearbook

My hair could have totally beaten up your hair.

  • Thy Majestie "In God We Trust" (Stryper cover)
    As I'm certain you all well know, sometimes we lovers of irony get so embroiled in making fun of something that before we know it, we actually do wind up kind of loving that which we mock. Such is the history of my relationship with Stryper. Obviously, my hair-band-loving friends and I were quick to laugh at the idea of Christian metal, but dammit if those songs weren't catchy. And I LOVE this cover version. It's a sickness, I know.

  • Big Country "Paranoid" (Black Sabbath cover)
    At first I thought I wasn't going to include this because I was more looking for metal acts covering non-metal songs, but this is surprisingly rocking for Big Country.

  • Jaded Heart "Larger Than Life" (Backstreet Boys cover)

  • Sonata Arctica "The Wind Beneath My Wings (comp. Larry Henley/Jeff Silbar, most popularly performed by Bette Midler)

  • Sun'N'Steel "I'm So Excited" (Pointer Sisters cover)

  • Strawberry Slaughterhouse "Kids in America" (Kim Wilde cover)

  • Superbeing "Hungry Like the Wolf" (Duran Duran cover)

  • Renato Zero "Sgualdrina (Dreamer)" (Supertramp cover in Italian)
  • 1 comment:

    Tony said...

    Saw Bon Jovi in Dublin in 2006, they were brilliant - and just as good as they were in the late '80's - enjoyed reading your comments! Tony