Monday, February 25, 2008

My mind is definitely made up.

If a tad embarrassing at times, my love for covers often creates a love for new artists. Many is the time that a cover I've hunted out introduces me to talents with which I'd been theretofore unaware. Such was the case with Glen Hansard and the Frames. Had it not been for the tracks below (the second of which I posted about 3 years back and I would rank somewhere in my personal Top 20 of favorite covers), I wouldn't have been lucky enough to become familiar with his work before the Academy Award nomination. What a well-deserved accolade! His and Marketa Irglova's performances there and at the Independent Spirit Awards were two of the best, most heartfelt and passionate award-show performances I've ever seen.

I'm keeping it old school here with the first covers I'd heard him do, but you can still hear a couple of more recent Bob Dylan and Van Morrison covers he's performed with Marketa Irglova via Hype Machine.

  • Glen Hansard "Cry Me a River" (Justin Timberlake cover)

  • Glen Hansard & Colm MacConlomaire of The Frames "Every Time" (Britney Spears cover)
     
  • 7 comments:

    Farrakhan Faucet said...

    Thanks for sharing these gems - you made my day! I adore The Frames and The Swell Season and am thrilled that Once has afforded them the world stage at long last. Perhaps Britney will someday do a stripped, acoustic cover of The Frames' "Star Star" as part of her glorious comeback...

    Dari said...

    Excuse me...could you help me, please?
    I need to know how upload a song into Playlist.com?
    Cause i want to upload my music over there.

    Thanks for your attention. Ask me in my blog, please.

    Bye

    alice said...

    Wow I totally remember that post from three years ago, I can't believe it's been so long.

    Anonymous said...

    Glen's version of Young Hearts Run Free is stunning

    Anonymous said...

    Justin Timberlake did not make the original of cry me a river - his crap version would be about remake #1000. The original and still the best was made by Julie London.

    Lobstar said...

    Anon- No. Had you ever heard JT's song "Cry Me a River" (or had you researched before you commented) you would know that Justin Timberlake's "Cry Me a River," which he co-wrote, is a completely different song than the Arthur Hamilton standard. It has the same name. It is not the same song.

    godsnmortals said...

    I was at the swell season concert in Austin Texas last winter when someone from the crowd yelled out "cry me a river" and right there on the spot Glen did the most amazing cover. That show was by far the best I've seen! It even ended with Glen singing Devil Town as the crowd all snapped their fingers, turned, and left as one. Glen is simply amazing.