Tuesday, October 26, 2004

There is a light that never goes out.

John Peel is dead. This is by far the saddest celebrity death that's had an impact on me in years. I'm certain my love of music (and covers) would not be as strong as it is if it weren't for John Peel's relentless dedication to exposing new and often strange musicians to a public who'd have otherwise never discovered them. His influence on performers, journalists and fans is immeasurable. I hope that my fixation on the new in music and culture continues into my 60s (and beyond, if possible) as his did. I can't imagine living my life any other way.

Rest in peace, friend.

  • Flaming Lips "Life On Mars (Peel Session)"(David Bowie cover)
    Edit: Sorry about this cutting off at the end. I suck.

  • Mogwai "Don't Cry (Peel Session)" (Guns N' Roses cover)
  • No comments: