Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Where I belong, I'm right.

I wish I had more time in my week to point you all in the direction of covers on other mp3 blogs when they arise, but I just don't. Covers are immensely popular in blogland and they're everywhere. Still, I found a few extra minutes today, so here are a few that might interest you.

  • You can find ex-Dismemberment Plan member Travis Morrison singing an amusing cover of Ludacris' "What's your Fantasy" on this page. (This one gets extra points because I hadn't heard it before.)
  • Marc Almond and the Royal Philharmonic sing "Paint it Black" here.
  • SVC has a few covers in this entry, including a longtime favorite of mine, My Bloody Valentine's cover of Wire's "Map Ref 41N 93W."
  • David F has an electronically mangled "My Cherie Amour" here, also heretofore unknown to me.

    Now for some of my own picks:

  • Frank Bennett "Disarm" (Smashing Pumpkins cover)
    Another cover crooner in the style of your Richard Cheeses and the like, but Bennett plays up the Rat Packiness of his namesakes a bit more faithfully than the others while singing a more diverse selection. For instance, I never suspected I'd hear a swinger version of Nick Cave's "Red Right Hand."

  • Maisie "Fixing a Hole" (Beatles cover)
    Italian music blog MusicBoom put together a downloadable tribute to the Beatles a while back that features unique combination of songs by (Italian, of course) indie, lo-fi and electronic acts. It's no longer available at the site, but here's a taste.

  • The Quakes "Killing Moon" (Echo and the Bunnymen cover)
    This is my favorite track from Swing-a-Billy Chartbusters from Germany's swing label, Frankie Boy Records.


    The next two tracks come from one of my favorite tribute albums of the past year or so, Stop Me if you think You've Heard this One Before. Of course, I'm not sure that's a rousing review, since most tribute albums really suck. But the way I see it, any tribute album that can get me to listen to a Mazzy Star song without retching has some merit.

  • The Delays "Ride it On" (Mazzy Star cover)

  • Detroit Cobras "Last Nite" (Strokes cover)
  • No comments: