Wednesday, December 01, 2004

All right, already.

As Joss Stone proved a little while back with her [excruciating, in my opinion] cover of "Fell in Love With a Girl Boy," nowadays a song need not be in the grave before someone decides to resurrect it. Here's further proof.

  • Ada "Maps" (Yeah Yeah Yeahs cover)
    The original might make you want to dance and sing along, this German electronic chill-out version just makes me want to sleep.

  • Ben Lee "Float On" (Modest Mouse cover)
    I loved Ben Lee's first album so much when it came out. I still like his stuff, but it's just not as amazing now that he's no longer 12. Still, I'll forgive his live slip-ups. He used to be cute.

  • Jeffrey Lewis Band "The Modern Age" (The Strokes cover)
    Comic books and anti-folk? Previously stereotypical slacker types are too damned motivated nowadays.

  • Richard Cheese "Hate to Say I Told You So" (The Hives cover)
    I had a few requests recently for more Cheese, and I'm nothing if not a giver.

  • REM "NYC" (Interpol cover)
    God, I know it's lame to be all "cool" and say I don't like REM now, but I really don't like REM now.

  • Grum Lee "Get Free" (The Vines cover)
    Prepare your ears for the acoustic, um, stylings of France's Grum Lee, whose covers have been submitted to and available on various sites over the years. I can't tell if he's trying to make outsider art (which would, of course, mean that it couldn't technically be outsider art) or if he's completely serious (which would mean it could be outsider), but either way, his stuff will probably frighten and amuse you in equal amounts.

  • Scissor Sisters "Take Me Out" (Franz Ferdinand cover)
    Back in the day, everyone and their brother posted this. Well, they probably posted the full (read: a little longer and a lot quieter) version, but whatever. I figured I'd jump on the bandwagon just in case anyone out there missed it. I really love this. It makes me long for the time when Elton John actually wrote good songs. I was hoping they'd play it back in October when I saw the Sisters at the Metro, but no such luck.

    Also: I'm preparing a slew of holiday covers for you. Be on the lookout.
  • No comments: