Wednesday, March 17, 2004

I was like you.

  • The Max Raabe Orchestra "Oops, I Did it Again" (Britney Spears cover):
    A dandy fop of a German cabaret singer with an obviously great sense of humor covering Britney? You know you want it.

  • Rebecca Romijn-Stamos "Darling Nikki" (Prince cover):
    So, John Stamos produces a Prince tribute CD and decides that geek fans of his wife need a little more masturbation fodder and coaxes her into this. It neither sucks nor rules, but at least Nikki remained female. Because America loves hot-girl homosexuality, you know?

  • Feederz "Have You Never Been Mellow?" (Olivia Newton-John cover):
    When I was a teenager still deluding myself that I'd somehow become famous, I dreamed of being the first person to cover this song. A few years later, I saw some movie (involving skinheads, I think) that had a punk cover of "HYNBM" in it and my dream was shattered and now I'm a 31-year-old with a journalism degree and no job. Whatever. Anyhow, I can't remember for the life of me what the movie was ("Romper Stomper"? "No Skin Off My Ass"? Please, if you know the movie and whether this is the version or not, let me know!), but I'm pretty sure this is it. As for this version, uh, either they missed the point of the original lyrics or had a really good sense of irony or both. I'll try not to remain bitter that they killed my will.

  • Party Animal[s?] "Have You [N]Ever Been Mellow?" (Olivia Newton-John cover):
    Uh, well, at least something, uh, positive came of Alvin and the Chipmunks getting run over by the Vengabus.

  • Little Richard "I Feel Pretty" (from West Side Story):
    Yeah. He sang it, but changed the gender to suit him. As if it even matters when you're covering this song.

  • Lush "I Have the Moon" (Magnetic Fields cover):
    Have you never been mellow? Then take a cue from Lush, and slip away into dreampop. Kinda boring as covers go, but I wanted to add something a little less wacky to cleanse your palate.

  • Hassan "My Name is Luka" (Suzanne Vega cover):
    I'm all for experimental interactive covers. It's like an excerpt from a Europop version of Crank Yankers but without the puppets. You know, a Jerky Boys with a pop sensibility.

  • Uncle Outrage "Turn Off the Light (Nelly Furtado cover):
    Sometimes the only way to purge an annoyingly ubiquitous pop song is to record your own far more insane and annoying version of it. And, if you're smart and have compassion for listeners, you'll follow the trend set by Uncle Outrage and stop after 52 seconds.
  • No comments: