Tuesday, March 09, 2004

Will things ever be the same again?

  • Jason Loveall "I Can't Get You Out of My Head" (Kylie Minogue cover)
    Jason is a friend of mine who is in the Milwaukee/Chicago band The Danglers—not to be confused with the "punk" NYC Strokes-like Danglers, who apparently unsuspectingly stole the name a few years ago). The backstory on this is that when the Kylie hit became inescapable a month or two after its U.S. release, ol' Jason appropriately found that he couldn't get it out of his head. In order to exorcize this demon from his brain, with the help of computer recording technology, he created this, um , masterpiece. It's kinda dark and gothy, not unlike, perhaps, Bauhaus. Yeah, the beats are a little off and it kinda sounds like he's a dying cow, but it's fun nonetheless. It also predated the live Flaming Lips cover (and the many others) that began surfacing months later. Most importantly, it fucking cracks me up.

  • The Axel Boys Quartet "The Final Countdown" (Europe cover)
    Some bizarre covers you can hunt and hunt for forever and never find, while others simply fall in your lap. This one fits the latter bill. I don't know much about the Axel Boys, but I certainly wish I frequented restaurants whose mariachi bands had this as a selection. (Related fact: The ringtone on my cell phone is "The Final Countdown.")

  • Enon "White Rabbit" (Jefferson Airplane cover):
    Is it cover song? Is it art? Can you stomach it while you're sober? All it takes is a click to find out.

  • Ten Masked Men "Papa Don't Preach" (Madonna cover):
    I don't generally like death metal or speed metal. I don't like bands that cover songs and change the sex of the characters in the lyrics to suit them. And I don't generally care for or respect bands that exist solely to cover other people's stuff. Still, there's something endearing about this, even if it is performed by a bunch of masked idiot Slipknot wannabes.

  • that dog. "Midnight at the Oasis" (Maria Muldaur cover):
    I don't have much to say about this cover except that I hope Petra Haden is doing all right since her accident a while back. Oh, and that bands who don't capitalize their names and use periods in them as well are pretty pretentious.

  • Macha & Bedhead "Believe" (Cher cover):
    The original makes me wanna dance and kiss gay boys and this version makes me want to slit my wrists. Now that's a good cover!

  • Solex "Shady Lane" (Pavement cover):
    This probably adversely affects my indie cred, but Brighten the Corners is probably my favorite Pavement album. And if I ever decide to become a DIY recording artist, I hope to become just like Solex: quirky, experimental and mildly annoying.
  • No comments: