Sunday, March 14, 2004

Seemed like the real thing, only to find ...

  • Some guy at Hidden Cove (video) "Good Enough" (Bobby Brown cover):
    I forgot this song existed until last night, and was dumbstruck that this guy knew it inside and out. Sadly, this isn't the best part of his act, but it's the only part I taped. In general, the rest of the performance involved some pretty insane dancing. I was truly in awe.

  • Pansy Division "Flower" (Liz Phair cover):
    This sounds a lot like Buddy Holly covering Liz Phair to me. God bless Pansy Division.

  • Dannii Minogue "Coconut" (Harry Nilsson cover):
    Holy crap, I just went to Dannii's official site and saw that, in her "Bio" section, she lists "the rainbow" as her favourite colour. And she's a year older than I am. Yeah, that pretty much says it all.

  • Vitamin C "Last Nite" (Strokes cover):
    Ha! The V2 label's Vitamin C site, which was last updated about a year ago, says this about this track: "Already massive in the clubs, the cover of The Strokes 'Last Nite' produced in the style of Blondie's 'Heart and Glass' [sic] is going to be a huge hit this summer." "Heart and Glass." You just can't make this shit up. I guess it didn't take off too well, as Vitamin C is no longer listed in the "Artists" list on the current V2 site.

  • Off the Beat (UPenn's acapella group) "Crawling in the Dark" (Hoobastank cover):
    Despite hearing it many times, I didn't know that the original "Crawling in the Dark" was by Hoobastank until I looked it up. That makes sense, I guess, because my brain likely buried it deep in the recesses of my subconscious because, as any logical person knows, Hoobastank is probably the worst name for a band ever. It almost sounds as if they signed a deal with the devil for a hit single, but the devil wrote in a clause that in order to get this one hit single, they'd have to use a terrible name of his choosing. Either that or the band was hanging out in the frat house getting high and trying to come up with their version of a clever-sounding name. That didn't work out so well now, did it boys? Oh, and college acapella groups that cover modern hits? I'm intrigued with them much in the same way as I'm intrigued by HBO's Autopsy. I don't want to look or listen, but I can't turn away.
  • No comments: