Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Take a walk on the wiggly side.

All I know about Andrew Denton I learned right here. He's some dorky Australian personality with a radio show or something and he's put out a few "Musical Challenge" discs, not unlike the Like a Version discs referenced in the last post. Here are some of the most listenable tracks from them. Um, kinda.

  • The Wiggles "Walk on the Wild Side" (Lou Reed cover)
    I was blissfully unaware of the existence of the Wiggles until I took up a babysitting gig while I was unemployed a few years ago. Man. Those guys creep me the hell out. But the kiddies seem to like them. Obviously, they've cleaned up the lyrics a bit.

  • Willie Nelson "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (Nirvana cover)
    It's too bad he sang so little of the song, I'd have liked it to go on longer.

  • Screaming Jets "My Heart Will Go On" (Celine Dion cover)
    Unfortunately, I was working megastore music retail when Titanic came out and had to create a giant Christmastime Celine Dion display and endure hearing this song on the overhead speakers for months. On the plus side, we did get these ultra-cheap tacky little promotional "Le Coeur de la Mer" pendants to give out with a purchase of the soundtrack, which I wore en masse many times. You'd be surprised how fancy you can look wearing 15 of those at a time. I think I still have one somewhere; I should wear it more often.

  • Mark Lizotte "I Write the Songs" (Barry Manilow cover)
    If you told me this was the Black Crowes, I'd probably believe you. An interesting take.

  • Gina Jeffreys "Kryptonite" (3 Doors Down cover)
    3 Doors Down? ZZZZzzzz. Gina Jeffreys? Better than 3 Doors Down. As if that means anything.

  • Josh Joplin "Eye of the Tiger" (Survivor cover)
    Eh, it's okay. Kinda reminds me of 3 Doors Down though.

  • The Delltones "Pretty Vacant" (Sex Pistols cover)
    Doo-wop punk? I'm all for it.
  • No comments: