Monday, July 18, 2005

If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know.

These tracks come from the same mostly horrifying When Pigs Fly: Songs You Never Thought You'd Hear CD from whence the Ani DiFranco/Jackie Chan version of "Unforgettable" I posted here and the Billy Preston cover of "Girls on Film" I posted here.

  • The Connells "Insane in the Brain" (Cypress Hill cover)
    The Connells always seemed like a band I should have been able to get into in the same way as I got into, say, Buffalo Tom or The Posies or Lloyd Cole or something, but I never could. At least I gave it the ol' college try.

  • Devo "Ohio" (Neil Young cover)
    I listened to my dad's vinyl copy of "Freedom of Choice" quite a bit as a kid, and now it is mine. This isn't as good as anything on that album, but it's still one of the best tracks on this album.

  • Don Ho "Shock the Monkey" (Peter Gabriel cover)
    My paternal grandfather was a professional golfer and he and my grandmother spent a few months every winter in Hawaii. They took me with them a few times, most notably when I was 2 1/2 (I was very excited by the half, you know). We spent some time on both Oahu and Maui and the story goes that one night they took me to a lounge where Don Ho was playing and I joined him on stage for "Tiny Bubbles." I vaguely remember the layout of the lounge and the candles on the table, but I don't remember what I'm certain was my stellar performance. However, I suspect it was probably a little better than this track.

  • Lesley Gore "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" (AC/DC cover)
    I try to picture the call in which Lesley was asked to participate in this, and my brain implodes. Lesley is one of my favorite singers ever, but it's difficult for me to admit that after listening to this.

  • The Oak Ridge Boys "Carry On Wayward Son" (Kansas cover)
    Heh. It's not saying much, but think this is my favorite cover on the album. I love those country gospel harmonies, what can I say?
  • No comments: