Monday, February 28, 2005

Tell your daddy and your mama too.

The first various artist all-cover CD I ever purchased was Rubaiyat: Elektra's 40th Anniversary, which was a collection of Elektra artists covering songs by Elektra artists I picked up my freshman year of college, 1990. It's been out of print a while now, but here are a few of the tracks that piqued my interest enough to initially shell out the dough for a double disc of songs I'd never heard before. [Remember when we had to buy albums without having heard them first? If not, I envy your youth!] I think I might've posted one or two of these back in the day before anyone even read this thing, but I can't remember and don't feel like hunting the archives. Note to self: Get working on creating a list so you can remember what was posted when!

  • The Cure "Hello, I Love You" (The Doors cover)

  • The Cure "Hello, I Love You (A Slight Return)" (sort of a The Doors cover)

  • The Kronos Quartet "Marquee Moon" (Television cover)

  • The Sugarcubes "Motorcycle Mama" (Sailcat cover)

  • The Pixies "Born in Chicago" (Paul Butterfield Blues Band cover)

  • The Might Be Giants "One More Parade" (Phil Ochs cover)
  • No comments: