Friday, April 14, 2006

Before you know it you'll be on your knees.

  • The Black Keys "She Said, She Said" (Beatles cover)
    I was inexplicably late to hop on the Black Keys train, but now I'm chugging right along.

  • Giganti "Corri Uomo Corri (Space Oddity)" (Italian David Bowie cover)
    Italian prog-garage from the '70s? Where do I sign up?

  • Bad Astronaut "Solar Sister" (Posies cover)
    I'm in the mood for a Posies revival here in my apartment.

  • Guadalupe "Wonderwall" (Oasis cover)
    I'm getting a bit obsessed with non-English speakers singing songs phonetically. Of course, I'm not 100% certain that that's what's happening here, but that first verse was a bit mangled, no? It makes me want to cover the German version of "99 Luftballons," to which I made up my own phonetic version when I was 12. Sigh. Why am I not in a band? Or know how to use any recording equipment?

  • Sun City Girls "Journey to the Center of the Mind" (Amboy Dukes cover)
    How is it possible that I just learned that Ted Nugent was in the Amboy Dukes? Obviously, I'd have never expected him to be involved with such a drug-friendly song, but then again, anti-drug types are pretty clueless about a lot of drug references, I suppose.

  • The Virginia Hullabahoos "Easy Lover" (Phil Collins/Philip Bailey cover)
    It's been a while since I posting anything by an acappella group, so I chose to share this with you. Because "Easy Lover" is the jam!

  • Liza Minnelli "Use Me" (Bill Withers cover)
    The recent release of Liza with a Z on DVD and CD has revitalized my love for my namesake. Holy crap, could that gal entertain! That special was filmed a month before I was born and feels more modern and vital than any performance I've ever seen on TV. And she was only 26, and so damned secure in her sexuality and womanhood. I wish there were 26-year-old female performers nowadays who weren't so fucking stunted by our modern youth culture that they keep acting cutesy or faux-tormented. There is a dearth of female singers who get on stage and own every fucking thing they're doing.
  • No comments: