Saturday, June 09, 2007

Upstairs at Liza's

Lately I've revisited what I thought was a long-gone obsession with Yazoo's Upstairs at Eric's album. It's generally the first LP I think to throw on the turntable when I'm doing housework. And it's as awesome as ever. Here's a little tribute:

  • 01 Terminal Choice "Don't Go" (Yaz/Yazoo cover)

  • 02 Blind Before Dawn "Too Pieces" (Yaz/Yazoo cover)

  • 03 The Hi-Fives "Bad Connection" (Yaz/Yazoo cover)
    This is my favorite of the lot. It makes me very happy.

  • 04 Marianne Nowottny "I Before E Except After C" (Yaz/Yazoo cover)

  • 05 Steve Adam "Midnight" (Yaz/Yazoo cover)

  • 06 Soviet "In My Room" (Yaz/Yazoo cover)

  • 07 Even in Blackouts "Only You" (Yaz/Yazoo cover)

  • 08 Suspiria "Goodbye Seventies" (Yaz/Yazoo cover)

  • 09 Tom Jones "Situation" (Yaz/Yazoo cover)

  • 10 Gold Chains & Jillian Eva "Winter Kills" (Yaz/Yazoo cover)


    And to make up for the fact that I was unable to locate evidence of anyone having covered the last track of the U@E album—"Bring Your Love Down (Didn't I)"—here are a few extra Yazoo-related tracks:

  • Garbo and Telepong "Nobody's Diary" (Yaz/Yazoo cover)

  • Fink "All Cried Out" (Alison Moyet cover)
     
  • 13 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    I LOVE THAT ALBUM.

    Also, Joshua Radin does an exceptional cover of Only You.

    Lobstar said...

    ...which I posted last year.

    Matthew said...

    It's weird that 'Bring Your Love Down' isn't widely covered. It's one of the better songs on a great album (well, it was an album when I bought it). Alas, I can't find one either - and I devoted some time to the task... Of course, things like this irritate me, and I'll probably spend countles hours in a fruitless search... Feh!

    MVD said...

    Too weird -- I was just talking about this album with some friends yesterday and come home to find this posted. Almost creepy...

    As always, thanks Liza! And the offer for a random gay man buying you drinks still stands.

    perch15 said...

    Everclear does a pretty rocking cover of bad connection as well. Its on a College Radio EP that came out in '97 or '98. The whole EP is covers...search and destroy (stooges), pochahontas (uncle neil),our lips are sealed (go-gos). Good stuff--in spite of the fact its everclear. it was all downhill after "heroin girl" as far as I'm concerned...

    Marty Tiniz said...

    You really like bbc office don't you?

    Lobstar said...

    Marty- Yes, I do, but I'm not sure what about this post alerts you to that fact. ???

    Marty Tiniz said...

    Aren't there a lot of Yaz references on the Office? Plus you had that "Freelove Freeway" cover in a post. Have you seen the office special with the video for his single (If You Don't Know Me By Now)?

    Knee deep in the hoopla said...

    Thank you so much for this Liza. I am a big admirer of Vince Clarke's work and this took me right back to 1982, then to 1986 when I bought the CD version on release. The UK version is different to the US version (including "Situation"), or have they now changed the US version?

    Mr Eyebott at Coverville has also been alerted!

    Wayne

    Eleanor said...

    Thank you for your post devoted to Yazoo! There isn't enough Yazoo (and general Vince Clark) devotion, I say.

    I think I'll cover Nobody's Diary at my first opportunity....

    Anonymous said...

    There's a really great remix of Bad Connection on this myspace www.myspace.com/subwaycollective

    Anonymous said...

    They have a clip of a remix of I before E on there too... it's sound way cooool. But I wish I could hear the full track. Anyone know if these mixes are available?

    JESUS CARRILLO said...

    Great Music of the years 80s