Wednesday, May 12, 2004

I haven't felt so alive in years.

Earlier, a friend posed the "what song would you want played at your funeral?" question, which always strikes me as odd since I've never been to a funeral at which specific songs were played. (Seriously, kids, add the soundtrack to your will ASAP, because I sincerely doubt whatever relative and/or mortician who will wind up planning the big event will be aware of what a huge impact that Evanescence ballad had on you.)

Anyhow, I've never really thought about it because, as I said, I have this picture in my head of my mom being asked "So, what was her favorite song?" and her responding, "Well, she really liked the Bee Gees' 'Jive Talkin'' when she was 3." So, when posed the question, rather than picking some depressing dirge of a Smiths or Tom Waits song, off the top of my head I tried to think of a song that makes me feel optimistic, which is difficult feat for any song to accomplish. Unfortunately, as embarrassing it might be to cynical 31-year-old me, that song is by none other than Depeche Mode. What can I say? It's one of their most uncharacteristically light songs and it makes me happy.

I was suspicious that this cover—especially considering my ire for most things grunge (or post-grunge)—would be just terrible. That it was a product of the all-cover soundtrack to Not Another Teen Movie, which featured that god-awful version of "Tainted Love" by Marilyn Manson, didn't convince me to heighten my expectations. But when your expectations are low, it's amazing how much you can wind up liking things. I gave it a chance and really like what he did with it. I periodically get the soft, catchy little loop that he uses as an intro (and throughout) stuck in my head and it makes me happy much in the same way the original did back in the day.

Depeche Mode writing an uplifting song? Scott Weiland covering an uplifting song? I never saw either coming, but you're never too old to be reminded of the ol' judging-a-book-by-its-cover adage, I suppose.

Unrelated: I'm pretty sure I hate the new Blogger interface.

  • Scott Weiland "But Not Tonight" (Depeche Mode cover)
  • No comments: