Tuesday, May 17, 2005

That's what I'm paid for.

Themes are great and all, but I prefer random smatterings. (That and I apparently feel like testing the true strength of my bandwidth.) So here goes ...

  • The Konki Duet "Il Fait Tout Gris (Fade to Grey)" (Visage cover)
    Electronic J-Pop with 1960s-era honey-dripping French vocal stylings? Don't mind if I do.

  • Bruce Willis "Under the Boardwalk" (comp. Resnick/Young)
    Help us.

  • Shivaree "The Fat Lady of Limbourg" (Brian Eno cover)
    I've been aware of Shivaree for a while now, but man, did their presence on the Kill Bill Vol. 2 soundtrack give them a real boost or what? Good for them. Any band who covers this track is at least a little okay in my book.

  • Shiina Ringo "Yer Blues" (Beatles cover)
    I want more hard-rocking, guttural Japanese goddesses to cover songs like this.

  • Manic Street Preachers "We Are All Bourgeois Now" (McCarthy cover)
    The band McCarthy was but a blip on my radar during its heyday in the mid to late '80s, but I liked this cover enough to reinvestigate them. Jangly and fun. Check 'em out.

  • Emilie Simon "I Wanna be Your Dog" (Iggy Pop cover)
    I know I've been Iggy-heavy lately, but I suspect you love it.

  • Ronnie Ong "Buttons and Bows" (comp. Ray Evans)
    WFMU says the liner notes of this one refer to Ong as "Singapore's answer to Trini Lopez." Did any one ever ask? Whatever. I'm always down for 1960s Asian fuzz rock.

  • Sufjan Stevens "The One I Love" (REM cover)
    Dear Sufjan: Marry me. Or just meet me for coffee. Or something.

  • June Tabor "Pharaoh" (Richard Thompson cover)
    I'm shocked by how much I like this.

  • Visage "2525" (Zager and Evans cover)
    Before "Fade to Grey" [see above] became their biggest hit, Visage released this cover as their first single. Oh, new wave! If only it would make a comeback...

  • Donovan's Brain "Smothered in Hugs" (Guided by Voices cover)
    This is the worst GBV cover I've ever heard. And that's saying something.
  • No comments: