Thursday, January 05, 2006

Don't tell me what it's all about.

Sorry, kids, I've been busy and grumpy for the past few weeks. Really grumpy. So I did my best to steer clear of the Internets. But now I'm back and so is my shuffle play, so here's today's random smattering of covery goodness.

  • Anthrax "The Bends" (Radiohead cover)
    Two great tastes that taste great together. Or something like that.

  • Belaire "Through the Wire" (Kanye West cover)
    I say yes.

  • English Beat "Tears of a Clown" (Smokey Robinson and the Miracles cover)
    I'm going a bit old school here, and I approve. I always loved this.

  • Sarah Brightman "Who Wants to Live Forever?" (Queen cover)
    Though not particularly my cup of tea, this is pretty. I tell ya, if you ever want to make your parents freak out with excitement, give 'em tickets to see Sarah Brightman. I got a couple of free tickets once from a label rep and passed them along to my mom and for at least a week I was definitely the Best Daughter in the World TM.

  • Scooter "Eyes Without a Face" (Billy Idol cover)
    I wish I were joking, but it was this song that made me want to learn French. Little did I know then that I'd study it for more than a decade and then do absolutely nothing with it.

  • Splitsville "I'll Never Fall in Love Again" (comp. Burt Bacharach and Hal David)
    Down with love! Too many germs! I love this song and I like this version.

  • Xentrix "Ghostbusters" (Ray Parker Jr. cover)
    I just saw the video for the original the other day and I'd forgotten that all the big stars of the day had cameos in it. Teri Garr, I miss you!

  • Xiu Xiu "Fast Car" (Tracy Chapman cover)
    My longtime best friend Julie had a precocious little brother named Brad who once, during the heyday of "Fast Car," crafted his own version of this song with the following lyrics:

    "We had a fast car /
    But Liza drove it into a brick wall/
    We had to make a decision /
    Should we take her to the hospital?"

    Awesome.
  • No comments: