Wednesday, April 14, 2004

Forever's gonna start tonight.

Okay, I know that this blog does not operate in a terribly user-friendly manner. My friend Eric who always criticizes all of my endeavors—while simultaneously managing to create, to my knowledge, nothing noteworthy himself—tells me that there should be more structure to this blog. Heh. This from someone who more often than not refuses to adhere to any conventional social mores generally required to ensure successful friendships, such as the idea that it might not hurt to actually encourage his friends on a regular basis rather than to feel the need to mock or point out the flaws in nearly everything they do. But I digress, I can whine about this in my LiveJournal or something since that's what it's there for.

So, here's the deal: I'm moody and I don't have a lot of Web space. I post when I feel like posting and, in order to post new songs, I have to remove the previously featured files pretty frequently. As a result, many songs only remain up for about two days or so. Many other readers have imparted to me that they wish I posted even more frequently than I already do, which would mean that the songs would be up for an even shorter time. So, I'm not exactly sure how to please everyone, so I'm working right now on pleasing myself. When I have the time and/or inclination to post, I will. If you're afraid you're gonna miss something, I recommend you check the site either every morning or every evening. You're pretty likely to catch everything that way. If that's too much of a commitment for you, despite the fact that the MP3s disappear, the information remains. I found these tracks somewhere, you probably can too. And if you're having difficulty locating a previously featured track you feel you must have, you can always send me an e-mail and I'll do my best to get it to you somehow.

[Note: If you think I really need to institute some sort of actual schedule here, feel free to comment telling me so. If the masses deem a schedule necessary, I'll consider creating one. No promises.]

So, yeah. That's the deal. Now let's move on to the meat:

  • Liza Minnelli "Twist in my Sobriety" (Tanita Tikaram cover)
    When you're an alternagoth teenage fag hag in the late '80s, let me assure you that nothing lures you into the mall record shop more quickly than a new Liza Minnelli album produced by the Pet Shop Boys—especially if Liza Minnelli is your namesake. Once I got Results home, I was pretty nonplussed by the whole thing. Sure, I enjoyed her cover of PSB's "Rent" enough, but it wasn't until I heard this cover of the Tanita Tikaram song (which itself had only been released originally about a year prior to Liza's version, kind of like that infernal Joss Stone "Fell in Love with a Boy" tripe nowadays) begin with that ominous dub of "Liza With a Z" that I fucking fell in love. Funny stuff, that. Or maybe it's just funny to people named Liza, I can't be sure. Either way, like a post-new-wave kitschy kudzu, the record grew all over me and, in retrospect, I think it was a pretty worthwhile piece of pre-grunge Europop. Of course, it was panned by the critics and overshadowed a year or two later by the PSB/Dusty Springfield project, Reputation, but so what? Liza sounds like a darkwave princess here. Ah, the tragedies that have since befallen our fair Liza. I wonder what sorts of fey, eyeliner-soaked freaks she'd have gone on to marry had she been signed by Projekt as she so should have been.

  • Class "Total Eclipse of the Heart" (Bonnie Tyler cover)
    Isn't it funny how completely acceptable it is for indie kids with acoustic guitars and cheap effects pedals to hit the flattest notes imaginable and still somehow remain utterly endearing?
  • No comments: