Tuesday, March 15, 2005

It's strange what desire will make foolish people do.

  • Holly Beth Vincent* "Chapel of Love" (comp. Barry/Greenwich/Spector)
    Holly Beth Vincent (and the Italians, in some cases) had a handful of cover songs back in the day. Hell, I just saw her version of Buffalo Springfield's "For What It's Worth" on VH1 Classics the other day and completely freaked out with middle-school flashbacks. New-wave covers of '60s hits make me happy.

    *This track comes from an album titled Holly & the Italians, but is actually Vincent's solo project she was forced into by her Virgin contract.

  • Coheed and Cambria "Sister Christian" (Night Ranger cover)
    Not surprising to see a band who regularly borrows from the rock stylings of 1980s supergroups (could this guy sound more like Geddy Lee?) covering this track. It is surprising, however, that I like it so much.

  • Pipilotti Rist "Wicked Game" (Chris Isaak cover)
    Regular Copy, Right? reader Nicky sent this my way the other day, and I'm quite pleased. I had no idea that Swiss media artist Pipilotti Rist recorded any songs, let alone covers. Apparently she uses this as a backing track in one of her oceanic video installations, which I'm now dying to see. Obviously influenced by the sound recordings of Yoko Ono, Rist's "Wicked Game" is perfect to me considering how often I myself have wanted to start screaming in pain by the time this song gets to the end.

  • Petra Haden "Heinz Baked Beans" (The Who cover)
  • Petra Haden "I Can See for Miles" (The Who cover)
    I like Petra Haden. Really. And I think it's, um, interesting that she covered the entire The Who Sell Out album acappella. Really. I'm just not certain it's something I'd want to listen to more than once.
  • No comments: