Wednesday, February 01, 2006

This is for my people. My ecstasy people.

The first three French tracks here were sent my way by reader Emojk. I've been in a foreign cover mood. Pardon the lack of proper French accent marks in the following. I'm lazy. I may post a few more from the Frenchies later this week.

  • Etienne de Crecy "Sexy Boy" (Air cover, which doesn't really have enough lyrics to bother translating into French)
    Edit: Just learned this is a remix, not a cover. I guess I'll keep it up for a bit in case anyone's interested.

  • -M- "Close to Me" (Cure cover, in French)
    Not to be confused with the M that gave us "Pop Muzik" nor with the slew of other artists who appear to use M as a name, the -M- here is Mathieu Chedid, son of singer-songwriter Louis Chedid. This starts off sounding a bit more like George Michael's "Faith," but we know which came first.

  • Quincannon "Send Me the Pillow that You Dream On" (Hank Locklin cover, with thick French accent)
    I've heard lots of country greats cover this: The Louvin Brothers, Loretta, Dolly, etc. This is not like any of them, but I kinda love it.

    Dear Popchor Berlin: I am in love with you. If I ever become a filmmaker, my soundtracks will be rife with your dreary, eerie brilliance. Highly recommended to those who enjoyed TV on the Radio's cover of the Pixies' "Mr. Grieves."

  • Popchor Berlin "4 My People" (Missy Elliott cover)
  • Popchor Berlin "How Soon is Now" (Smiths cover)
  • Popchor Berlin "Grinding Halt" (Cure cover)
  • No comments: