Tuesday, November 27, 2007

No cigarettes. No sleep. No light. No sound.



I've been listening to the Hollies version of this (which is the first version that was a hit, but not the first that was recorded) pretty regularly lately. I've no idea what's up with that. Although it's become apparent to me that Radiohead's "Creep" might not exist without it.

  • Jorge Gonzalez "Necesito Poder Respirar (The Air That I Breathe)" (comp. Albert Hammond/Mike Hazelwood)

  • Steve Wynn "The Air That I Breathe" (comp. Albert Hammond/Mike Hazelwood)

  • The Mavericks "The Air That I Breathe" (comp. Albert Hammond/Mike Hazelwood)

  • Olivia Newton-John "The Air That I Breathe" (comp. Albert Hammond/Mike Hazelwood)
     
  • 15 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    I prefer the Hank Williams Jr version --it sounds a lot like the Mavericks version, actually, but better. It's worth checking out.

    Amanda "Mandy" O'Brien said...

    I always loved this song...both The Hollies' version as well as the one my childhood idol (Olivia)performed. I'm excited about these other renditions, too! Awesome site! THANKS!

    Kelly said...

    My mind's kinda blown because I was actually listening to the Hollies' version when I clicked onto your post...cosmic. Thanks for the covers!

    vistamonkey said...

    Wow, I wonder if this is why I like Radiohead so much. Maybe this Hollies version was in my subconcious. I did't realize I was was listening to a cover when listening to Radiohead. Ya know, George Harrison was successfully sued for "unconcious plagarism" by the copyright owner of the Chiffon's "He's So Fine" for his song "My Sweet Lord". I bet AH/MH could get a few bucks from Thom Yorke. This tune is so close, it's creepy.

    Thanks for the great music.

    Anonymous said...

    No Semisonic?

    Matthew said...

    I love you, I honestly love you.

    Thanks for including Olivia Newton-John :-|

    Anonymous said...

    The dancers in that clip are way off. Especially that guy around the -2:25 mark.

    Where did the Hollies get their name?

    Anonymous said...

    Believe the original was done by Albert Hammond.

    Anonymous said...

    Every time i check your blog, this is always a pleasure. This is the first time i post a comment (my english is a bit approximative). I have a lack of vocabulary to explain my feelings about your posts. But i want to thank you. You are a kind of santa to me, but for the whole year.
    pom pom pom... what will be the surprise of today ? And i'm glad for ten minutes...

    Anonymous said...

    Sorry I'm coming to this post a bit late. But, I must submit my favorite version of this great song, by k.d. lang. Yeah, yeah, I know...I used to make fun of k.d. lang as much as anybody else, until I actually heard her sing (her album Drag, in which every song is smoking related). This is a fantasically beautiful song, particularly when played very loudly and accompanied by lithe undergrad modern dancers in skimpy pajamas fleeting about the floor (as it was when I first heard it).
    Because I'm cool like that, I even have a link for your listening pleasure:
    http://www.hotlinkfiles.com/files/706489_osh6e/TheAirThatIBreathe.mp3

    Enjoy! Thanks for the post, and great call on the Radiohead connection.

    Anonymous said...

    Wow, I have been obsessed with this song for awhile now. Barry Manilow has a version out there too. Keep up the great work, and thanks.

    Mr. Njorl

    Anonymous said...

    Is the Steve Wynn really Steve Wynn? If it's really from "Sing Hollies in Reverse" and it's track 4, then it's Eric Ambel, isn't it? I don't mean to criticize, just want to get it right - I love this blog (would have said "site" but didn't want to rhyme!)

    Anonymous said...

    Holy shit that Mavericks cover is amazing.

    Anonymous said...

    "I bet AH/MH could get a few bucks from Thom Yorke."

    They do!

    Anonymous said...

    you're so fucking special