Monday, July 19, 2004

Rewritten by machine and new technology.

Sorry about the file sizes on these, but I didn't want to decrease the quality by shrinking them.

  • Hi-Posi "Video Killed the Radio Star" (Buggles cover) 9.7MB
    Ladies and gentleman, welcome to my current favorite cover on my hard drive. Holy God, I love this. What a happy surprise. Usually when I stumble on a new cover of this song, it turns out to be 1,000 times less listenable than the original, which I'm sadly beyond sick of despite my love for it as a kid. Hi-Posi has now replaced Cornelius and Fantastic Plastic Machine as my favorite weirdo eclectic Japanese pop outfit. Okay, or as one of the three weirdo eclectic Japanese pop outfits whose names and songs I actually know. The mechanical vocals, the lounge intro, the hypnotizing Casio tune running throughout, the unexpected samba (or is it bossa nova? or rumba?) that hits about two minutes in, the general strangeness of it all? Heaven. There's a futuristic movie playing in my head in which this is the soundtrack for a scene in which androids strip and subsequently pole dance and make out. It's really hot. Yet cold at the same time, of course. I'm hoping for an R instead of an NC-17.

  • Akiko "Paradise City" (Guns N Roses cover) 7.9MB
    It's so weird when my least favorite song from a longtime favorite album can be covered in a style I generally don't like (think a smoother-jazz Swing Out Sister) and still intrigue me. Yet, here's further proof that the Japanese are just that fucking good sometimes. Or, if not good, at the very least way more experimental than 90% of their European and/or American cover-loving counterparts.
  • No comments: